Sunday, September 13, 2009

Every day observations from a friend

An American friend of mine works here in South Africa and wrote about what she sees as she drives to work and back every day. I thought this was excellent and worth the read to get a glimpse of what life is like here in South Africa from a different perspective.

Top Things I see going to work and coming home everyday.
Sept. 11, 2009 from a friend

10. I see the same little African boy walking with his Mom to work, trying to keep up everyday. He is maybe only 3 at the most and his Mama keeps moving to get to work on time. So he runs, runs and then he has to walk a bit. But he never stops and he never cries, he just keeps going until he catches up with her.

9. I see little girls at the traffic lights with their moms. They have paper cups to fill with coins. Braids in their little heads and dirty mismatched clothes. The bad part is the exhaust pipes on the trucks are just the height of their little faces so they get blown in the face with exhaust all day long.

8. I see women walking to work in their high heel shoes, you know they were hand me downs from someone that had 1/2 size bigger or smaller than the right fit for her. The shoes are dusty as they walk in the dirt on the side of the road. The poor blisters that will be there by the time she gets to work and then has to turn and walk the same way home.

7. The guy with the pink and purple jacket. I have to chuckle when I see this guys, but he loves that jacket because it is the only one he has.

6. The babies on the back, and the bags on the head. It is amazing to me how much a African mom can carry. They wrap the babies probably up to 18 months with bath towels around their bodies. they carry bags in their hands and then will balance another on their heads. Now that is one strong woman!

5. The guys in the back of the trucks. The construction companies or any manual labor seeking workers and will pick up guys and let them in the back of a truck, They will sit on the edges, they will squeeze in tight so their friends don't to have to walk. And maybe they will end up someplace they can make a little money. I have seen Africans that looked as tall as my husband all jammed up sitting in traffic and know they are not even close to their destination.

4.. The guys that pass out the fliers (advertisements) on the side of the road. Well I can't say I always take a flier because I am just not sure it is always smart to roll down my window, but I do always smile, wave and say no thank you. But I see the disgusted looks on their faces of the people who are rude and ignore them or say something rude to them. They always smile when I smile.

3. My fruit salesman that sells fruit outside our complex. This guy makes me laugh every time I see him. He is a really hard worker. I always pay him a little extra and he always tries to give it back. When you can buy 7 beautiful fresh Papayas for the equivalent of $2 bucks, I feel like I can at least can give the guy .50 for his trouble! What a nice guy and he always responds with Thank you Mommy! Even though I am not his momma!

2. And on my way out I see our gardener, swiping his card to come and tend to the garden. I think that our domestic worker, makes him some tea and bread before he starts his work. But every morning I try to wave, but our gardener, is what I would call a little skew. Don't know if he is looking at me or not. But even though he never waves, I still wave every morning I see him just in case one of those eyes is looking my way.

1. And every morning as I am pulling out of the drive I see our domestic worker, running out the door yelling Mommy, Mommy, you forgot your cell phone or you forgot your coffee, or you forgot your laptop. I would forget my brain if it were not for her! One morning I tried to walk outside with my fluffy lamb slippers, lucky she did not let me get in the car that day. I never have been much of a morning person.

Have a good day, and be thankful for where you are and who you are. Best Wishes

No comments:

Post a Comment