Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Being thankful, no complaints!


Yesterday, I drove by myself for the first time to Bible Study Fellowship (BSF). It was about 1/2 hour away. I got lost and it took me more than an hour to find it. Driving on the other side of the road is like looking at the world through a mirror. You see everything just fine, but it is not quite right in your brain. I have to admit that when I saw my teaching leader's husband, Daniel, standing at the church waving me in, I could of hugged him right there (Daniel is also a teaching BSF leader for the men's evening group).

I arrived too late to be part of a small group discussion, but was able to listen to the lecture on Num. 11-12. The lecture was just what I needed to hear that day (I love that about God's word). It was about complaining and how it can make God angry and discourage others. It is contagious and has serious consequences, and can breed jealousy and always results in some kind of loss.

The BSF notes about this subject say that we can get frustrated by our hardships, but often do not pray, but only complain, like the Israelites. Since God is sovereign, then everything that comes into our lives is from Him, is controlled by Him, and is intended by Him for our good (Romans 8:28). So, when we complain about anything, ultimately we are complaining about God. We are saying that God is wrong to have given us what we do not like or for failing to provide us with what we think we would like.

Why, do you ask, am I including this in my blog post today? It is more of a reminder for me and our family. The pictures in this post show the blessings of being together as a family, no matter where we are and being content. Yes, there are hardships here, but will we choose to focus on them, or will we focus on the blessings? I have asked my family to point out to me when I complain and now we are doing that for each other. I believe that it has helped us focus on all that God has provided for us and makes us more thankful. I know that I am thankful for each and everyone of you that take the time to read our blog. You are all in our lives for a reason, and we are grateful!

Note: The pictures above, were taken in front of the larger pond/lake in our community (we were walking around the lake that day). The other picture was taken at lunch near a fountain in Nelson Mendela Square. What a blessing to have those family times together!

1 comment:

  1. Paulette,
    Glad to hear everything is going well for you and that you arrived in your new home safely. It's fun to read what you all are up to. Take care! Kim Staples

    ReplyDelete